Monday, October 30, 2006

Cyclone dust collector on the way!

Not a lot of guitar work was done this weekend, that's not to say that I didn't spend all weekend in the shop.
I have headed my way a new Penn State Industries Cyclone dust collection system, and in preparation for it I plumbed my entire shop with hoses running to every power tool I own. Right now my little 1 horse Jet dust collector is hanging in there but its a little to much for it. I should have my Penn unit installed next week and that will just about rid my home of saw dust. My wife will be thrilled :-)

On the guitars, I joined and thinned the Italian spruce top for the Little O im building. This top is fantastic, it has a nice light bearclaw to it, and its very stiff, with a rich overtone filled tap. More later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lance,
The new blog page looks great. Well organized and tasteful. Your new dust collector might not be high on the glam index, but when production picks up I guess the equipment's got to follow.

Best,
Mitch

Lance Kragenbrink said...

Mitch you are correct, im making more sawdust now than ever before and the wife aint to happy bout it! :-) This new collector has a large filter that stops all particles larger that .5 microns or about the size of smoke. So I suspect it will do the trick.

Lance

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it'll keep that Cocobolo dust down. I guess you're not too sensitive to it given your output of Cocobolo B/S but apparently many builders are. Still considering that as a choice :)

Mitch

Lance Kragenbrink said...

HI Mitch
Right -- now -- im not sensitive at all to Cocobolo, problem is, coco is a sensitizer. In other words it creeps up on you and eventually you will have a reaction to it. Wither that is a skin rash, Respiratory problem , or anaphylactic shock, remains to be seen. So, I am taking as many precautions as I can to both protect my self and family AND allow me to work with these type woods for as long as possible.