Tuesday, November 07, 2006

More on shaping back braces.

In this pictorial I will show how I shape the back braces for my acoustic guitars. This example is once again Mike Crixell's LS Redwood/Flamed Koa OMFS. In this image I have taped a steel ruler over the center reinforcement strip as to not damage it as I slide the plane along the length of the brace. I start by marking the center of the brace with a pencil, then holding the plane at an angle I shave the edge of the brace until I reach the center mark. Then I do the opposite side the same way.


Here you can see the bottom of the plane and the triangular profile of the brace after its been shaped.



Here the braces have all been shape, and the ends scalloped. All that is left is some fine sanding and the back is complete



Below are a few more images of Mikes Guitar and The Little Italian Cocobolo.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat photos. I look forward to seeing how you brace the tops. Do you brace different body shapes and sizes differently or all the same?

Mark Cashman

Lance Kragenbrink said...

Hi Mark
All my tops are braced using a standard X bracing pattern. That said, the "splay" of the X is different on each model, as well as the amount and size of finger braces and tone bars.