Monday, December 10, 2007

Rosettes!

Mark Cashmans bookmatched Brazilian rosette. Here is the layout. I start with marking out the .250 wood ring, then add the .040 b/w/b inner and outer purflings. After that I can locate the .085 far outer ring, which is b/w/bb/w/b. This rosette is a carbon copy of my last Redwood topped guitar I made for DavidR.



Next I transfer the measurements to the Brazilian wood blank.



Cut the circle.



After much fussing, here it is dry fitted. Last night I sprayed the top with schallac to seal the end grain and today I will flood the rosette with Cynoarriclic glue, then run it through my sander to level it all down.



Next, I did a segmented Brazilian rosewood ring for John Creech's BRZ/Carp Dreadnought, plus a book matched brw headstock overlay with sapwood accents.

Also done are both rosettes for Jack Wills OMFS'. Both are .125 Redheart abalone with a single line Koa purfling. Very clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lance, Since you're using my OMFS's rosette as a model, we must have done something right there.

Dave R