Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Making a rosette..

This weekend I installed a book matched Cocobolo rosette in to the Italian top for the O-12.

Here is how I did it :)

First process is to measure and cut the wood ring.


Here the ring has been cut out of the rosette blank, which was made from off cuts from the back.



Next I route a channel to inlay the cocobolo ring into. After routing the channel is sealed with shellac to prevent the coco from leaching into the open end grain of the top.



Next I test fit the ring. Just right, leaving enough room for the purflings.



Here the channel has been cut, the ring fit, and now I am dry fitting the b/w/b purfling strips.



After everything has been fit I flood the rosette with CA, or cyanoacrylic glue, better know as Super Glue :)





Next the rosette is run under the thickness sander to level it with the top, and here it is completed.



Thanks for looking!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, that's just my style-elegant yet simple. Nice, Lance. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Oops... forgot to sign...
Best, Mitch

Anonymous said...

As always, Lance, the result looks great. I mine turns out as nice.

Dave R

Anonymous said...

(Gotta stop posting so late at niight) I HOPE mine turns out as nice.

Dave

Anonymous said...

awesome or as paris hilton says " Its HOT"

Jarvis